All Hallows' Eve

Though I'd like to think I have a pretty good grasp of grammar, I still had to look up All Hallows' Eve just to make sure I'd put the apostrophe in the right spot. Anyway, today's the day! I've got a zoom call with my best friends from college scheduled for a few hours from now and a little party I'm going to miss because it was planned after the zoom was. Oh well. I can't have it all. 

In my current state of semi-unemployment, I've been doing odd jobs for people. This summer, I was working part time as a gardener, and will be doing that again this Friday, but the past week I've helped an older friend of mine, A, around her house three times now. Two of the times have also been with my friend R. He and I met through twitter. Though we live in the same city currently, he lived in Scotland when we first started following one another and so we didn't realize we had this in common (he lived here before Scotland and now lives here again). It's been fun and we've been joking that we ought to start a business as handymen. So far, we've built a sauna, reorganized a living room, prepped wooden panels for painting (A is a painter), done some yard work, and insulated some windows. Another older friend has asked me to help out a bit around her house as well, now that her kids are out of the house and she's no longer married. She says she needs some "hygge" in her home. What is it with women in their 50s - 60s and being obsessed with that word? 

There's a (kind of embarrassingly large) part of me that wishes I could just stay here and keep just doing odd jobs for people. Truth be told, it's the most fun and easy and rewarding work I've ever done. I think I need a doctor wife so that I can stay home and do domestic tasks like stacking firewood and gardening and fixing things.

I really ought to start packing up my own apartment for my upcoming move. It's sort of looming over me, but I haven't dealt with it yet. I just need to put it off a little longer. I'm really doing everything but dealing with my own apartment. I don't want this entire blog to just be move updates, but that's a big thing going on in my life right now. On the bright side, I think I've got an apartment set to move into! It has four bedrooms and actually belongs to A's parents. I'll be one of two new people moving in at right around the same time. It's one of the most beautiful apartments I've ever seen (though only virtually)!! It's entirely furnished, too, so I can just sell all my furniture and not have to worry about anything. 

Since getting back a week and a half ago, I haven't really cooked at all. Like, I've cooked rice and veggies and stuff like that but I haven't planned and cooked a meal. If you have any recipes you like or ideas or inspiration of any sort, please share. I don't have any dietary restrictions and like most foods. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

After a week of being all by my lonesome, I am being social again!

I've been going, going, going recently! I was exhausted all week and finally felt like I'd caught up on sleep by Friday. I didn'...