I hear her voice in the morning hour, she calls me

The radio reminds me of my home far away...

Take Me Home, Country Roads has been following me for two weeks. Three weeks? Something like that. It's kind of a perfect song. And there are so many beautiful versions of it. 

I've got three road trip playlists, all made by my mother. She's got excellent taste in music and I trust her pretty much blindly and when I was going on a road trip with my ex boyfriend ages ago, I asked her for a road trip playlist. I'm not entirely sure she understood, at that point, that you could just keep adding to a playlist you'd already begun in Spotify and so, when I told her we'd listened all the way through the playlist, another came our way. And then another. There's some John Denver on those. 

There's a specific version of Take Me Home, Country Roads that I distinctly remember hearing but haven't been able to find again. I don't remember whose version it was. 

Here's a nice banjo cover. 

Anyway, the song's been making me a bit nostalgic for the US and the wide open road. There's just something about driving for hours on end through an unchanging landscape. The longest day of driving I've ever had was thirteen hours from Durango to Oklahoma City. There was a snowstorm through most of my way through New Mexico and it added a couple hours onto the driving time. That's also the only time I've ever been in Texas and, wow, what an unchanging landscape. 

I love traveling by train here but there really is something to be said for driving. Sorry, Mother Earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

After a week of being all by my lonesome, I am being social again!

I've been going, going, going recently! I was exhausted all week and finally felt like I'd caught up on sleep by Friday. I didn'...