Blues dancing in Berlin, finally.

I took an ubahn line to its last stop and walked fifteen minutes or so in the dark (not complete dark, but Berlin really ought to have more street lamps than it does) until I got to a little bar at the very end of its street. The place has a dancefloor and there's an upper area in the back (open to the dancefloor) with seating. Some sofas and armchairs and, farther back, tables and regular chairs. Not the best explanation. I'll try to remember to take a photo next time. 

When I got there, they were just finishing up the lesson and I was really seeing what this guy I met at a swing dancing thing almost two weeks ago said about Germans and moving their hips. Not the best innate sense of rhythm and not the best hip mobility. Once the lesson was over and people started to dance socially, though, I was pleasantly surprised! Whenever I go to a new place for dancing, I tend to dance more with older men than any other demographic (my least common demographic is women my own age) and last night was no different. I was chatting up a storm and asking them who they recommend I dance with next and I've come to realize that it is very common here to dance two or three songs in a row with somebody, even if you don't know them. That's very explicitly bad manners in other social dance scenes I've been in. It's really been throwing me for a loop and, if I didn't enjoy dancing with them, I still feel a little obligated to dance another song with them. 

I danced with a few very very very good leads, but didn't chat too much with any of them. No instant bonds there. 

There was a man there whom I'd met when I went swing dancing nearly two weeks ago now, an older Mexican man who's lived in Berlin for seventeen years. I'm about to head out in about five minutes to go to a protest (pro-Palestine) and he may meet me there. We exchanged numbers. I also met someone my own age (wow!!!), a British guy I chatted with for quite a while after he bought me a beer. I can't tell if he was flirting with me or not, he's kind of the twink to end all twinks but I've come to realize I'm just the type of woman bisexual twinks are interested in so I'm not sure that's a reason to rule the possibility out. Regardless, it doesn't really matter because I am not interested in him in a flirtatious way. I would like to be his friend though and plan to make that happen. We also exchanged numbers. 

I'm meeting up at the protest with a girl from my hometown. I've always thought she's so cool, but we've never been friends. We bonded a bit this summer at a music festival right before I came out to Germany for my big Finding a Job Trip. She told me to let her know if I ended up in Berlin and, well, here we are. 

I've been considering for quite a while (probably about a year now) getting a lip piercing. I've heard it referred to as a pout, though I doubt that's the real name, it's the one in the center of the bottom lip that goes in right under the lip and comes out in the front of the lip. I would get one that's just one hole right under the lip, but lip piercings are actually really bad for your teeth, so I don't want any metal fully inside of my mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

After a week of being all by my lonesome, I am being social again!

I've been going, going, going recently! I was exhausted all week and finally felt like I'd caught up on sleep by Friday. I didn'...