11.16.2021 (Tuesday)

 An update on the past few days. On Thursday, I went into the office in person, had a birthday lunch with my coworkers (a day early, Friday was my birthday), went to trivia with friends, and went to a hustle lesson. Two weeks ago on Thursday, I was at bachata night at the place I go to dance, and there was a hustle social going on in the other room. My friend and I poked our heads in and I was absolutely in awe! I'd never known that the hustle was a dance, much less a partner dance, and had absolutely no idea that it was so beautiful or that it came along with such a close-knit, vibrant community of people. That evening, I decided I needed to learn it and so I went back this Thursday and attended the lesson. A lot of social dancing spaces can be very sow-off-y and heteronormative, but this wasn't! It's exactly the dance community I've been looking for out here to take the place that the blues dancing community where I used to live occupied. 

On Friday, I really didn't do much. I went for a long walk, bought a pair of pants, and talked to some friends on the phone. 

Saturday was spent largely preparing for my birthday party that night. I bought a flat iron so I could do my hair the way I wanted, bought food, and made an unexpected trip to another town an hour and a half away (one way) to pick up my friend because they weren't going to be able to make the last bus down to come to my party. Not to toot my own horn, but my birthday party theme was absolutely brilliant. It was a cocktail party, so I asked that other people not bring gifts but bring cocktail ingredients instead, and the dress code was simply "outdress me" (left open ended on purpose). This was my first birthday party since I was fourteen or fifteen or so, I'm twenty-three now, and it went wonderfully! I always hated my own birthday parties and used to sneak away to cry at every single one of them that I can remember, but I didn't this year. I just had a good time! I ate good food, drank good cocktails other people made for me, and listened to good music! One great thing about adulthood is that your friends understand that if you host a party you're also generally the person cleaning up the next day, so some of my friends put everything away afterwards while I was off somewhere being drunk and doing god knows what. Two of my friends slept over and the three of us went to brunch the next morning. 

Sunday was quite an uneventful day. Post-party, I felt a bit empty (and, needless to say, a bit hungover) so I spent a lot of it napping and not really doing anything productive. I thought again about the whole "dating" thing, and I think I may take a break for a bit and focus my energy more into my friendships. I don't really see a reason to date at the moment unless I meet somebody I really click with right off the bat, and as we know my current crush lives elsewhere so I doubt that'll happen any time soon. But we shall see. 

There's not much to say about yesterday or today, other than that I have a date tonight. Tomorrow morning, I'll be flying across the country to New York City visit my older sibling (and parents, they're visiting at the same time) for their birthday! And my best friend lives in the city, so we'll be having Thanksgiving together!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After a week of being all by my lonesome, I am being social again!

I've been going, going, going recently! I was exhausted all week and finally felt like I'd caught up on sleep by Friday. I didn'...